With the massive increase in South African tourism, we set out a research project to survey which forms of accommodation and tours have been more popular. Cape Town backpackers, Ashanti Lodge has an extremely busy travel centre that provided us with some useful statistics for our survey. Seeking an adventure next time you go on holiday? Choose Zip lining in Ceres. This adrenaline filled adventure can be enjoyed by the whole family. So get up, get out there and start having fun. You only have travel about 11/2 hours from Cape Town to reach Ceres, but there are plenty of great accommodation options also available if you would like to stay in the area.
You will be enjoying your adventure close to the Schurwegerg Mountains below the Koekedouw Dam. Here you find Africa’s longest zip line; lines are between 100m and 290m long allowing you to reach some pretty good speeds as you go. There are eight slides of adrenaline fun and all around you some spectacular scenery. They also operate in all weather conditions, so there is no excuse not to try this out.
Each tour can accommodate about 12 people, and there are two professional guides that make sure everybody is safe and enjoying themselves. All adventure participants are also given full body harnesses with the best equipment to ensure your safety. So if you are afraid of heights, no worries you can conquer your fears and have fun even with ‘jelly legs’.
I mentioned before that the whole family can come along, even those who are just older than three years of age. This is not only great for families but can be a unique idea for year-end functions and team building for companies.
Ceres Zipline Tours Contact: www.ceresadventures.co.za | 079 245 0354 or 078 063 5134
There is plenty to do in Ceres from visiting the Matroosberg Nature Reserve and scenic tours on the Ceres Rail Company. Visit the Ceres Transport Riders Museum and also plenty of hiking trails. There are an abundance of great restaurants to visit when you get hungry after all those exciting adventures.
The Fruit Route, Ceres
Ceres is known as one of the best locations for deciduous fruit in South Africa. The area is a great place to go for cherries, peaches, apples, plums and grapes. Love your wine tasting; why not try a Juice Tasting at the Ceres Transport Riders’ Museum. The juice is from the well-known ‘Ceres Fruit Juice’ Company.
Pay a visit in mid-November to December, at the Klondyke Cherry Farm. I know that cherries are expensive in the local stores, but here you can pick your own cherries and enjoy fresh ripe fruit straight from the farm.
The Klondyke Farm also provides accommodation. Three self-catering cottages and a campsite for those who don’t mind being closer to nature.
Out of season, Ceres is a good place to see the snow in the winter months. Skiing and other activities can be enjoyed by all, depending on the snow levels.
Travel and Stay in Ceres
Ceres has plenty to offer when it comes to accommodation. Guesthouses, Bed and Breakfast, self-catering, camping and caravanning and even working Farm stays.Ashanti Lodge Backpackers in Cape Town have a wide range of accommodation options at their main centre in the Mother City’s CBD.
Guest Houses and Self-catering:
• Four Seasons Self-catering Guesthouse: They have 4 self-catering units in a beautiful garden setting.
• Chantilly Guest House offers luxury self-catering or Bed and Breakfast accommodation.
Contact: 083 441 9532
• The Village Restaurant & Guesthouse offers beautifully furnished rooms and wonderful food at their gourmet restaurant.
Contact: 023 3162035
Camping and Caravan Parks:
• Kaleo Guest Farm: You can stay at their luxury self-catering guesthouse or enjoy their private campsite. The Guest Farm also offers self-catering flatlets or cottages.
Contact: 023 004 0298
• Klondyke Cherry Farm: Caravan and tent campsites available. The cherry picking is a must do at this farm.
Contact: 087 550 0232
• Petervale Guest Farm: They offer self-catering cottages as well a campsite that looks over beautiful dam. Plenty of shade, hot showers and large braai pits where you can sit around with your family and all your buddies. They also offer a unique experience of living in a tipi.
Contact: 076 774 6432